An international partnership of 43 nations is working with the government and people of Afghanistan to build a country able to provide security, services and economic opportunity for its people. Since 2006, responsibility for Helmand, the country's largest province, has rested with the UK.
Based outside Helmand's capital Lashkar Gar, a UK-led Provincial Reconstruction Team (PRT), is working to:
promote fair and equitable justice;
deliver basic services; and
directly tackle the insurgency.
The PRT is a joint civilian and military team of 165 people, including 80 civilians. The Stabilisation Unit provides over 30 of these civilian experts, not just to Lashkar Gar, but also to the front line forward operating bases working directly with the military battlegroups and Afghan government.
The Stabilisation Unit can draw on people from a database of 1000 experts, from agricultural advisers to economists, project managers to retired police officers, and provide them with the training and equipment necessary to deploy to Afghanistan. In Helmand, our experts are currently promoting the rule of law, developing local government institutions, stabilising outlying districts and countering the narcotics industry. We have Stabilisation Advisers on the front line in seven districts, up from just one in 2007.
We also work closely with the military before they deploy. Twice a year the Stabilisation Unit joins the military on Salisbury Plain to participate in the final and largest ‘in-the-field’ exercise before deployment. The aim is to develop a common understanding of the key issues in Afghanistan and facilitate planning; helping both the civilians and the military to work effectively together in the field.
The UK is committed to Afghanistan for the long term and our efforts are achieving positive results. The provision of such tangible benefits underpins confidence in the political process and the Afghan state itself.
- Back in Helmand
- Stabilisation Advisors testify to Operation Moshtarak’s Impact in Helmand
- Salaam Aleikum-SU's Pamir reflects on his Afghan experience
- Personal perspectives on my first deployment
- The Sangin Story: Security, Stabilisation and Development 2008-2010
- A Town Transformed: The Civilian Story of Musa Qaleh
- World Water Day
- A Day in the Life of a Stabilisation Advisor
- Operation Moshtaraq
- Progress in Nad Ali 2008 - 2010
- Reports from the field - PRT, Helmand Province, Afghanistan
- Reports from the field - Provincial Reconstruction Team, Helmand Province, Afghanistan
- Reports from the field - Garmsir District, Helmand Province, Afghanistan
- Reports from the field - Lashkar Gah and Sangin, Helmand
- View from the PRT - Health Care
- Stabilisation Unit helps to re-establish basic health clinics in Helmand
- The Bonn Agreement
- From the Field: Our advisers in Afghanistan